More swimmers punch ticket to State at Pinedale Invitational
PINEDALE – The Sublette County combined boys’ swim team filled its bag with multiple medals and additional State-qualifying swims at the Pinedale Quad on Friday, Jan. 27, and the Pinedale Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 28.
Sublette County secured third place at the Quad with 345 points, beating Lyman and Jackson. The team left it all in the pool on Saturday, earning silver with 241 points and besting Lyman, Kemmerer and Jackson.
Junior John Ruby joined the State roster, qualifying in the 200-freestyle on Friday. Ruby captured gold in the event, clocking in at 2:09.00. He beat the runnerup from Lyman by 1.6 seconds.
Junior Ryen Hacklin punched his ticket to State in three events over the weekend. On Friday, he posted a qualifying time of 25.73 seconds in the 50-freestyle and a fourth-place finish in a competitive field of 29 athletes.
Hacklin also qualified in the 100-freestyle at the Quad on Friday. He placed seventh in the event with a time of 55.91 seconds. On Saturday, Hacklin qualified in the 100-breaststroke with a fifth-place finish timed in at 1 minute, 14.44 seconds.
Freshman Kaden Day bagged second place in the 500-freestyle on Friday, hitting the finish line at 6:12.50, coming within 20 seconds of overtaking the first-place finisher from Rock Springs.
On Saturday, senior Dillon Boespflug, sophomore Calleb Willson, junior Andy DeClue and senior Owen Nielson snagged gold in the 200-medley relay with a time of 1:57.00, beating Kemmerer by nearly 1 second.
Ruby, DeClue, Nielson and Boespflug earned silver in the 400-freestyle relay on Saturday, timing in at 3:50.02.
Additional individual highlights at the Pinedale Invitational on Saturday included silver for Boespflug in the 100-breaststroke at 1:10.76. He came in third place in the 100-butterfly at 1:04.25.
Nielson scooped up silver in the 200-freestyle on Saturday with a time of 2:06.33. DeClue placed third in the event, posting a time of 2:06.97.
“We had a great time in Pinedale this weekend,” wrote Co-Head Coaches Kursty Day and Cheryl Grossman. “Scotty Ring, Wyatt Hyde, Logan Visser and Calleb Willson all dropped time in their individual events. The biggest time drop of the weekend came from Kaden Day. He shaved 16 seconds off his time in the 500-freestyle.”
Additional results – Pinedale Quad
- 200-medley relay: Sage Mahaffey, Willson, Hacklin and Day in fourth place at 2:07.47 and Visser, Reuben Allen, Ring and Hyde in fifth at 2:44.37.
- 200-freestyle: Hyde in ninth place at 2:47.23.
- 200-individual medley: Boespflug in fourth place at 2:21.28, Nielson in fifth at 2:27.31 and Allen in 10th at 3:29.96.
- 50-freestyle: Willson in eighth place at 26.80 seconds, Mahaffey in ninth at 26.81, Ring in 14th at 29.00, Day in 19th at 30.67 and Visser in 28th at 38.04.
- 100-butterfly: DeClue in fourth place at 1:09.61.
- 100-freestyle: Boespflug in sixth place at 55.82 seconds, Ruby in ninth at 58.48 seconds, Hyde in 11th at 1:05.09 and Visser in 21st at 1:26.49.
- 200-freestyle relay: Ruby, Willson, Mahaffey and Allen in fourth place at 1:59.44.
- 100-backstroke: Mahaffey in sixth place at 1:12.28 and Ring in ninth at 1:18.74.
- 100-breaststroke: Nielson in sixth place at 1:17.83, Willson in ninth at 1:21.23, DeClue in 11th at 1:24.68 and Allen in 15th at 1:41.21.
- 400-freestyle relay: Hacklin, Day, Ring and Ruby in fourth place at 4:13.87.
Additional results – Pinedale Invitational
- 200-medley relay: Ring, Allen, Hacklin and Hyde in sixth place at 2:17.72.
- 200-freestyle: Day in 11th place at 2:25.42.
- 50-freestyle: Hacklin in ninth place at 25.75 seconds, Mahaffey in 14th at 27.57, Willson in 15th at 27.65, Hyde in 17th at 28.15, Ring in 19th at 29.09, Allen in 35th at 37.34 and Visser in 36th at 37.69.
- 100-freestyle: Nielson in fourth place at 54.67 seconds, DeClue in sixth at 57.47 seconds, Mahaffey in 13th place at 1:02.67, Willson in 14th at 1:04.37, Hyde in 15th at 1:05.29 and Visser in 30th at 1:33.92.
- 200-freestyle relay: Mahaffey, Willson, Ruby and Hacklin in fourth place at 1:49.61 and Day, Hyde, Allen and Visser in eighth place at 2:22.21.
- 100-backstroke: Day in sixth place at 1:15.08, Ring in eighth place at 1:16.54 and Ruby in ninth at 1:18.55.
- 100-breaststroke: Allen in 12th place at 1:44.84.
- 400-freestyle relay: Mahaffey, Day, Ring and Visser in sixth place at 4:54.30.
The postseason begins for the swim team with Conference in Lander on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 3-4.